The Community and Public Health division of the Canterbury District Health Board have issued a health warning after potentially toxic algae (benthic cyanobacteria) were found in the Waiau River 50 metres upstream of the main Waiau Bridge.
Humans and animals, particularly dogs, should avoid the Waiau River in the vicinity of the main Waiau Bridge until the health warning has been lifted.
Canterbury Medical Officer of Health Dr Ramon Pink says the algae look like dark brown/ black mats and can produce toxins harmful to humans and animals.
"Exposure may cause skin rashes, nausea, stomach cramps, tingling and numbness around the mouth and fingertips," Dr Pink says.
"If you experience any of these symptoms, visit your doctor immediately and let your doctor know if you've had contact with algal mats or water in this area.
"No one should drink the water from the river at any time."
Boiling the water from the river does not remove the toxin. However, reticulated town water supplies are currently safe.
Animals should be taken to a vet immediately if they come into contact with the contaminated rivers, Dr Pink says.
Environment Canterbury is monitoring the sites and the public will be advised of any changes in water quality.
Facts about cyanobacteria:
All current warnings remain in place. For further information visit http://ecan.govt.nz/services/online-services/monitoring/swimming-water-quality/Pages/river-warnings.aspx
Or contact Community and Public Health on (03) 364 1777.
Media Releases Archive