The Community and Public Health division of the Canterbury District Health board have issued a health warning after potentially toxic blue-green algae (benthic cyanobacteria) were found in the Ashley River.
Humans and animals, particularly dogs, should avoid the Ashley River upstream of State Highway 1 until the health warning has been lifted.
Dr Ramon Pink, Canterbury Medical Officer of Health, says the algae look like dark brown to black mats and can produce toxins harmful to people and animals.
"Exposure may cause skin rashes, nausea, stomach cramps, tingling and numbness around the mouth and fingertips," Dr Pink says.
"If you experience any of these symptoms, visit your doctor immediately, also let your doctor know if you've had contact with dark brown/black algal mats or water in this area."
Reticulated town water supplies are currently safe but no one should drink the water from the river at any time.
"Even after boiling the water from the river, it does not remove the toxin therefore should not be consumed," he says.
Animals should be taken to a vet immediately if they come into contact with the contaminated rivers.
Environment Canterbury is monitoring the sites and the public will be advised of any changes in water quality.
Facts about cyanobacteria:
For further information visit http://ecan.govt.nz/services/online-services/monitoring/swimming-water-quality/Pages/river-warnings.aspx
Or contact Community and Public Health on (03) 364 1777.
Media Releases Archive